Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam Movie Story Summary
Nandini has to choose between Sameer, the man who taught her to fall in love; and Vanraj, the man from whom she learnt how to abide and fulfill promises of love.
Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam Movie Stars
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Salman Khan, Ajay Devgn
Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam Movie Storyline
When Sameer asks for Nandini’s hand in marriage her family refuses. They have already chosen a husband for their daughter. Sameer returns to Italy. When Vanraj, Nandini’s husband realizes that his new bride has been in love with someone else, he is prepared to sacrifice his love for her and take her to Italy to be reunited with her true love, Sameer.
Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam Movie Interesting Facts
- This movie also resulted in a real life romance between Salman Khan and Aishwarya Rai, the most publicized love affair in the history of Indian Cinema.
- At a screening of Raja Hindustani (1996), Aishwarya Rai Bachchan came up to Sanjay Leela Bhansali, shook his hand and told him that she loved his work in Silence: The Musical (1996). Sanjay Leela Bhansali has said that her eyes were like fire, and he had been looking for a girl to play Nandini. At that moment he said to himself, “Yehi to hai meri Nandini (She is my Nandini).”
- In Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s first scene, she is seen walking across the Kutch desert. She did this barefoot and in 35 degree weather. Director Sanjay Leela Bhansali later expressed his great gratitude and respect for her having done so.
- The bridge and many of the scenic locations shown in the movie were filmed in Budapest, Hungary, but Bhansali felt that names like Budapest or Hungary would not connect with the masses of India, so the Hungarian scenes were shown as Italian in the film.
- Producers of the film had doubts that Aishwarya Rai Bachchan would be able to deliver playing Nandini, because she had a Miss World image and a Western face. But Sanjay Leela Bhansali just said, “Why not tie her hair in a plait and give her a traditional look?”
- The film’s storyline was similar to the 1983 film ‘Woh 7 Din’ starring Anil Kapoor,Naseeruddin Shah & Padmini Kolhapure, where a husband tries to unite his wife with her former lover.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Ismail Darbar spent two years on the music of the film.
- Bhansali and art director Nitin Desai toured Gujarat, Bhuj and Kutch to get the perfect locales and research the lifestyles and culture extensively. Due to this research, the sets designed were so good that Desai claims he got a letter from a filmmaking team in Canada asking which part of the country the location was in.
- Since it wasn’t possible that Kareena Kapoor could play the lead in Silence: The Musical (1996), Sanjay Leela Bhansali offered her the role of Nandini in this movie.
- Samir’s strange habit of looking at the sky and talking to his deceased father comes from director Bhansali’s childhood, when he had done the same thing.
- In the wedding scene, Sameer says that Aishwarya Rai’s chracter, Nandini, acts as if she is Miss World. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, actually was Miss World in 1994.
- Aishwariya Rai won the Filmfare best actress for the the film.
- The music of the film was quite popular. Songs such as Tadap Tadap, Chand Chupa Badal Mein, Dholitaro, Nimboda and Jhoka Hawa Ka were big hits.
- Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Anil Kapoor, and Akshay Kumar were all considered for the role of Vanraj, which would later be played by Ajay Devgn.
- Salman Khan and his step mother Helen played mother and son in the film they first appeared together.
- Vikaram Ghokale asks Ajay Devgan to sing a song when he comes to see Aaishwariya Rai for the first time and he sings the song ‘Chingari Koi Bhadke’ from the film Amar Prem 1972.
- For the lit-up acrylic floor in the garba song, Nitin Desai placed marigold flowers, which are traditionally offered in temples, under the acrylic sheets.
- Due to a chandelier accident on the set, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan danced to “Nimbooda” while her feet were swollen.
- Loved blossomed between Salman Khan and Aaishwariya Rai on the sets of the film.
- The film won four National awards for: Best Production Design – Nitin Chandrakant Desai, Best Music Direction – Ismail Darbar, Best Choreography – Vaibhavi Merchant and Best Cinematography – Anil Mehta.
- Ismail Darbar received the RD Burman Filmfare award for this film.
- At the 2000 Filmfare awards function it won 9 awards;Best movie, Director, Actress, playback singer male, art director, cinematographer, Choreography, background score and RD Burman Award.
- Inspired from the semi-autobiographical work of Bengali author Maîtryei Devi, N’Hanyate. Similar narrative was also portrayed by her lover in his semi-autobiography, La Nuit Bengali.
- 1st half of the movies picturised in Bhuj, Vijay Vilas Palece-Mandvi and Orchad Palace-Gondal of State Gujarat.no
- It was filmed throughout the Gujarat-Rajasthan border region, in addition to Budapest, Hungary, which was used to represent Italy.
- Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam was a Hit at the Indian box office, becoming the third highest grossing of the Bollywood films of 1999 with INR 200 million.
- The films original title was “Dil To Humne Diya Sanam”.
- Man Mohini was sampled by Mike Ladd for his song Red Eye To Jupiter (Starship Nigga).
- It also reflects the influence of the German novella Immensee and the 1943 Nazi-era film based on it, Immensee.
- It is also widely considered as a remake of Andha Ezhu Naatkal and Woh Saat Din
- The film was premiered in the Indian Panorama section at the 1999 International Film Festival of India.
- It was remade in Bengali as Neel Akasher Chandni in 2009, with Jeet reprising Salman Khan’s role, Jisshu Sengupta reprising Ajay Devgn’s role, and Koel Mallick reprising Aishwarya Rai’s role.
- In 2000, Video-sound company in the United States, released the official DVD edition of the film with a “making of” segment. The main feature was presented in an aspect ratio of 1.85 and the original Dolby Digital 5.1 mix.
- The second DVD release was by Digital Entertainment Inc. This was a collectors’ edition two-disc set, filled with supplementary features.
- Shemaroo and Eros International released single-disc editions of the film in the India market, sans supplementary features.
- The movie was released under its English title Straight From The Heart. This DVD was released by Pathfinder Home Entertainment, which was a port of the Digital Entertainment Inc. edition, sans supplementary features.
- The music was composed by Ismail Darbar.
- The lyrics were penned by Mehboob.
- It received nine Filmfare Awards nominations in the music and singing categories and produced some winners as well.
- The song “Nimbooda” is performed as a dance at a wedding in Rajasthan.
- Chand Chupa Badal Mein was sampled from Where Do I Begin by Andy Williams from Love Story.
- Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayi – Dil Deta Hai Ro Ro shenai music was later turned into “Chup Gaaya Badli” from Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain (1998).
- Nimbooda was sampled by Tendayi and Rob Valentine for the song Know Me.
- For Nandini Manisha Koirala was Sanjay Leela Bhanshali’s first choice.
- The film had a theatrical release in Canada.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali first offered this film to Manisha Koirala but due to some misunderstandings, she couldn’t do the film. Kareena Kapoor was also approached, but she said she was ineligible for it because she hadn’t won “Miss India” yet.
- Salman Khan and Sanjay Leela Bansali worked together in 2 films only This was the last.
Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam Movie Mistakes
- Despite being shot in the neck region, Aishwarya Rai seems to be wearing no bandage around her neck. However, she has a bandaged arm with a sling.
- All of the scenes supposedly set in Italy are in Hungary – the signs are all in Hungarian, and the locals all speak Hungarian.
- Universal health care is offered in Italy to all citizens and visitors: a hospital there would not have refused to treat Nadini over lack of funds after she had been shot.
- When Nandini cuts her wrist, falls sideways and the blood trickles into the water you can see the device attached to the back of her arm that carries the fake blood.
Useful External Links
Start your International Dropshipping E-Commerce Business with ZERO investment and risk : https://bit.ly/35VvKC3
GETPLUGIN25 gives 25% OFF the AliDropship plugins
GETSTORE15 gives 15% OFF the Custom and Premium Stores